Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Jan 2004 13:52:37 -0800
From:         Damon Campbell <damoncampbellvw@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: piston pin #1 removal question
Comments: To: "Scott W." <smorewhisky@YAHOO.COM>

I think there are more detailed explanations in the archives, but here is what i did:

Find a threaded rod that will fit through the inside of the pin and a washer really close (but not greater than) the diameter of the pin. Also, get a tube the pin can fit inside, and yet another washer that can not slip inside the tube.

I hope you see where i am going with this...

nut-big washer-tube-piston w/pin inside-little washer-nut-locknut. All that skewered by that threaded rod. I ended up kind of shaping the piston end of the tube to fit the piston more closely and not marr the sliding surface (basically press against the recess in the piston around the pin).

A little time spent making this tool will save you a lot of time extracting pins. It doesn't really help you reinstall them, though.

Honestly, i had a bigger hassle with the retaining clips, but i guess you develop a "feel" for it after clip #3.

Good luck, -Damon

--- "Scott W." <smorewhisky@YAHOO.COM> wrote: > Ok engine builders, I got #2 out with minimal > problems. Now that I see how much pin is sticking > out > of the #2 piston, it seems to me that if I try to > punch the #1 pin out the flywheel direction, I will > run out of room and hit the case before the pin is > off > the rod and be stuck. Is this right, or will it fit? > The tool used in the bently is no help to me unless > the flaps sells them(?), and muir had no water > jacket > to deal with.... thanks again > Scott Wilson > 1.9L van > > __________________________________ > Do you Yahoo!? > Yahoo! Hotjobs: Enter the "Signing Bonus" > Sweepstakes > http://hotjobs.sweepstakes.yahoo.com/signingbonus

===== '84 Westy (Sparky) w/2.3L WBX (wow... it actually works!)