Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Jan 2004 07:09:59 -0500
From:         hosel <hosel@QUIK.COM>
Subject:      (Help - my Van - A - Gone)

Hi,

I'd like get some advice on a replacement Vanagon for my "new" 90 GL that was in top condition, that just got toasted by an oldie but goodie pulling directly in front of me as I was cruising down life's highway. It's been said, with truth, that it's better to purchase a car that has higher miles, miles that were put on with proper attention to maintenance, then to get a lower mileage car where little care was spent in the maintenance department. There's always exceptions but in general this seems good advice.

I'm looking at a local "nice looking" low mileage Weekender (91k). The price is soft but it has a sticker from some "Economy Motors" of Long Island, NY on the back. It also has a 4" vertical seam of rust just after the driver's door. Otherwise the paint is very nice. It has some signs of mild rust under the van too. Like the two metal coolant supply lines need to be replaced as well as the parking brake cables and the separator bar (more the bar) they connect to.

So my first question is: How impacting can this type of rust situation become. I realize the whole van could rust away, but the only external sign at this moment is what I mentioned. Over the next 5 years, would this become a large issue? It's pretty hard to answer that I realize..

My second question is if anyone on the east coast has a decent well maintained van (preferably a weekender with that nice closet) contact me with details privately.

That's it for me...

Jim in VA on the hunt

PS... I even though of getting a 93' Eurovan but they don't seem to have a standard bad bed/seat, or quite the same amount of room, or the solidness, nor the rear engine, nor the charm of the Vanagon... They do go faster however...