Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:41:33 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: not all thermostats are equal
Comments: To: gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>

For what it's worth, remember that you can buy a variety of temperature ranges in thermostats. Make sure you are comparing identical temperature items. I'm running a 173 (or thereabouts) because the thermostat that came in the car was causing terrible overheating problems, though when boiled behaved OK. Replacing it with a lower rated temp was overkill... the car should be a bit warmer in winter. The point is, don't trust boiling except to find out if it's dead or alive. And if alive, a poor thermostat won't work as well as a good one. And you pretty much have to install them to find out which are the better ones; at least I do because I don't know what the better brands are.

Additionally item: when I recently went to a reputable shop for a good thermostat instead of autozone stuff, my mechanic advised me to do what he did... drill a small hold (1/8 inch) in the edge of the thermostat to allow a bit of water to flow through even when closed. He showed me several OEM german thermostats that had such holes.

Jim