Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Jan 2004 18:21:46 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: transmission life expectancy?
Comments: To: Art McGinn <ajmcginn@EARTHLINK.NET>

I have seen transmissions fail with less than 40K and some go almost to 200K. From a wear point of view, I believe 140 to 160K is the limit. The parts of our transmissions are really designed around a Bus that weighs less and an engine that rarely put out more than 50 HP (think 68 Bus). The size of the load carrying parts are not that much larger now so things tend to break instead of wear. The Fun Bus managed to break 4th gear twice in less than 40K. The replacement that failed was from VW, I know because I bought it and installed it. I don't think the stock engine at 175K when it broke the second time really overloaded it, it just cracked where the drive teeth are welded on.

As for rebuild quality, the biggest mistake I see made by inexperienced shops is the re-use of housings that are worn out. The gear carrier housing and the end cap or low gear housings on the syncro are almost always damaged where the main bearing sits. Some machine work and loctite is always needed to keep that bearing from moving. If when in third gear, pushing the shifter forward lightly, you can move the shifter by accelerating or decelerating, the main bearing is loose in the bore. I lost count of how many rebuilt trannies I have seen that still have this condition.

Dennis