Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Jan 2004 02:10:45 -0600
From:         Al and Sue Brase <albeeee@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Diesel Holes!
Comments: To: David Brodbeck <gull@GULL.US>

How fast is the normal maximum speed of a Diesel Vanagon? It seems like the owner's manual says 68 mph. Mine would never do that unless I had a 30mph tailwind. And the idea of cruising at top speed (like was normal on an old bus or bug) was just horrible because of the noise of 4400rpm (?) engine speed. I think the 83 got that down a bit with the 5 speed. I doubt the 83 went any faster. I am using an air cooled transaxle in mine with a .89 fourth gear set. this gives a 4.07 final drive ratio in 4th. (4.57 x 0.89) I can't remember the stock ratios, but it's a lot higher. I agree with David that a higher gear ratio might not make it go faster. This has been exactly my experience. With the vehicle nearly empty, it will go 75 mph on the flat. but with a load, sometimes it will not even pull 4th on the flat if there is a headwind. (Not a very great problem for me with this vehicle- it will go 57 mph in 3rd - not much worse than the old trans in 4th.). Normal 4th gear speed is 60-64. What is the top usable speed that others see? Al Brase 69 doublecab, 82 diesel , 87 GL