Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Jan 2004 02:43:52 -0800
From:         Kriss De Jong <banshee@KILLERBANSHEE.COM>
Subject:      Transmission problems thoughts

Background: So we ended up at the VW Dealership in Mesa while we were in Phoenix. The office staff was terrible, but I got a friendly mechanic. He <sarcasm>what? No!</sarcasm> announced there was a transmission leak. He said we could drive it back to the SF Bay Area without fear, and just check the fluid once a day. Being very attuned to the sounds of the van, concerned about the amount of transmission fluid on the back of the van, and being generally overly careful about checking things that can go wrong mechanically, etc we stopped after 150 miles and pulled all of our luggage out of the back and checked it. We were down almost a quart already. So we ended up trapping me in the vehicle by stacking the luggage around my wheelchair in the middle of the van so that the fluid could be checked more quickly. We added a quart about every 200 miles from Phoenix to Oakland.

So we of course brought the van to the mechanic that put in the transmission 5 months ago (!) I've not been super happy with the service there, but since it is his warranty on the transmission...so they had it for 8 days. I finally got it back on Monday afternoon. We are about to head out on the road again so we immediately took it out on the highway to make sure all was good. Within 15 miles of driving at 55-65 it was leaking as bad or worse than it had been before.

Kriss Gets to the POINT:

They replaced all the seals on the transmission and crank case. The transmission is 5 months old. What other things could be going wrong with it?

I brought it back to them, and got them to agree that they would either figure out what _Specifically_ was wrong with it and repair it, and be able to explain to me what was fixed and why that is all that needs to be done. And if they can't do that, that they will replace the transmission. But I would appreciate any thoughts any of you have on what could be going on.

Cheers, Kriss