Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Jan 2004 17:35:31 -0600
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: type 1 engine price NVC
Comments: To: Bill Thomas <bithomas777@EARTHLINK.NET>

I'd want to know when it was assembled because I don't know how long the assembly lube would stay put and how many years it would take before rust formed in the cylinders from not rotating or having oil slosh where it's spozed to. Not trying to wet blanket this sale, but $2500 for 50 or 60 hp , well, you do the math.

DM&FS

At 01:19 AM 1/14/2004, Bill Thomas wrote: >If it is dual port great. If it has the "dog house" fan shroud even >better. If it has the dual relief case then pop the champagne. The DH >shroud was a 1971 factory mod to the type 1 that relocated the oil cooler >away from the #3 cylinder. The motors lasted much longer in warmer >climates since the #3 cylinder did not get a blast of superheated air. I >had an ATK type 1 rebuilt installed in my 69 Camper with single port heads >and a 009 distributor. I ran it with synthetic oil and it never gave me >any trouble for the 4 years I owned it - even during some hot Mojave desert >crossings. It also had the dual relief case that eliminated the high speed >oil consumption and pumping losses I had with the original single relief >case. > >When I bought the ATK engine in 1989 they were assembled in Europe using >only European cores. The rebuilds from some of the other suppliers used >Mexican cores that supposedly were inferior to the European metal. A >single Solex carb on a dual port motor should give decent, reliable >performance in a Beetle with better drivability than most dual carb setups. >If the motor is all German metal and was stored properly then the price may >be fair for a keeper. Just get some form of written assurance that the >motor and accessories are good. > >Bill > > > [Original Message] > > From: Dave Emmons <emmonsd@SBCGLOBAL.NET> > > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > > Date: 1/14/04 1:23:55 AM > > Subject: type 1 engine price NVC > > > > Fellow listers, > > > > A friend of mine called and said that he had the chance to buy a brand new > > 1600 type 1 engine. He said that the seller was asking 2500.00 outright >for > > the engine. The engine is complete from pan to carb with clutch, >generator, > > exhaust, muffler and heater boxes. The only thing that he did not know is > > if it was a dual port or single port motor. The engine is supposed to be >a > > brand new German motor that has never been used. I just have no idea what > > it would be worth. > > Assuming that it really is a new German motor, is the price in line? >Would > > that price be right for a dual port but not a single port motor? I have >not > > played with type one motors for about 20 years and at that time you could > > rebuild one for about $400.00. The engine would be going into a pristine >67 > > beetle if that makes any difference. > > > > Thanks in advance > > > > Dave Emmons > > 83 1.9 Westy