Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Jan 2004 21:51:17 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fluid leaking from underdash
Comments: To: BillM <thegreenwesty@NETSCAPE.NET>

You got it right. That is the clutch master. I had to change mine on my 88 GL. It is not a bad job, just takes a little time. A couple of cautions. There are some little copper seals that you DO NOT want to lose. You will need them when it goes back together. It has been a while, and the details are a bit fuzzy now, but I began by using a siphon made of plastic tubing and simply drained the fluid from the tank under the Instrument pod into a bottle. I held the tube in the tank with the bottle sitting on the ground. Worked great.

Be sure you use plenty of rags down below while you are working to catch excess fluid that may run out. When you are done with the job, you may want to consider washihng and vacuming your floor and carpet to get rid of the brake fluid. Not good to leave it in the carpet or the sub flooring. I parked my van so it was leaning slightly to the left, mixed a bucket of warm sudsy water, pulled the carpet, and got in there and had at it. with the water and a brush. Did the same on the carpet. When done, I flushed it all out with a good flooding of clear water. By leaning over, the water just ran right out. After the water treatment, I flooded the whole thing with alcohol, then set a fan to blow on it. Water is extremely miscible in alcohol, and then when the alcohol evaporates off it takes the water with it. The alcohol draws water from all the little pores as it evaporates.

Once the new master cylinder was back in, and all lines tightened, I filled the tank, cracked open the nut ant the bottom fo the valve, pumped the peddle once and got some fluid out, then immediately tightened the nut. That was sufficient to clear any air. Then I pumped the peddle 50 times or better and finally got a peddle pressure. After that everything worked fine. I had read somewhere that the clutch system is self bleeding in that respect.

Good Luck.

Regards,