Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Jan 2004 23:05:31 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: lets talk about oil pressure issues
Comments: To: "brian M." <wirenut992000@YAHOO.COM>

You have a combination of a slightly worn engine and too low an oil viscosity. Due to the oil to water heat exchanger and the design of the engine, outside temperatures have little effect on oil temperature after things warm up. This is where the advantages of synthetic oils shine. The 2200 rpm is critical because that is where the Dynamic Oil Pressure Warning Systems switches to check for adequate oil pressure at the high pressure switch. This is the switch located on the back of the engine, under the water pump. The correct switch is .9 bar (12.7 psi). Some books list the switch as 1.8 bar, this is incorrect. The switch is actually in the oil path after the pump but before the filter. If the engine is healthy, the oil cool and the correct viscosity, it should maintain ~10 psi/1,000rpm. If you are holding 6 psi/1,000, then things are marginal and the light/buzzer will work as you describe. Here are some things to check.

1) Make sure oil level is correct. DO NOT OVERFILL. The top mark on the dip stick is MAX, not FULL. A slightly lower level will keep the oil cooler at high engine speeds. 2) Make sure water is flowing through the oil cooler. I've seen the hoses clog with crud. 3) Try a different viscosity/brand/type of oil. A 15w-40 is more appropriate unless temps get well below 0. Synthetics have a very wide operating range. I use the Mobil 1, 15W-50 all year and it has been tested by me at -10 in Vermont. At 212K I still have 40-50 psi at highway speeds.

Hope this helps, Dennis

Specifically on 90 Vanagons! Im running 10w30- its in the 20s where I am at. Once the van is good and warm I can be driving at 60mph, about 3000 rpm- no problems. BUT when coasting to a stop,the warning lite goes on at 2200 rpm. It will go off if you blip the throttle above 2200 while in drive. Or- if you coast all the way to a stop- the buzzer and lite stay on. But if I put it into nuetral, blip the throttle over 22oorpm, and let it idle down it wil stay off !!! 2200 rpm seems to be the magic number. Whats up with this?? I never had the problem with 20w50-well only rarely. So what do you think? Sending unit? Module? Bearings? Lobotomy? Whats the general consensus? Thanks in advance!! Brian