Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:21:09 -0500
From:         Tolga Morawski <tolga@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Opinions on tranny rebuilds from Long Enterprises?

I also have a Long Tranny in my '84 1.9 watercooled. I heard about Rick (Long) from Bob Donald's of Boston Engine, who I got my engine from. I also had a good pre-sales experience with Rick. After less than a year and 5,000 easy miles on the tranny I started having a lot of problems getting into 3rd. Called Rick and he explained that it sounded like a bad or unevenly worn synchro for 3rd gear but he didn't offer to do anything for me and was relatively un-helpful. He told me to double-clutch it or hope that it wore off on it's own, stopping the noise. 2 years later if I don't double-clutch going into 3rd grinds every time. I'd never buy from the guy again. There seems to be a lot of good things said about a place up in Washington State on the list? Anyone know their info?

-Tolga- >------------------------------ > >Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 20:56:54 -0500 >From: Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET> >Subject: Re: Opinions on tranny rebuilds from Long Enterprises? > >Unless someone finds some old stock somewhere, all the replacement hubs >are the new designs. I think VW started using it in production in '90. >If that price includes replacing the ring and pinion, then it is a deal. >The ring/pinion set and the input gear shaft are both expensive parts >that say the trans is not worth repairing. Replacing the gear carrier >housing also costs $$. > >Dennis > >-----Original Message----- >From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf >Of george packard >Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 8:34 PM >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >Subject: Opinions on tranny rebuilds from Long Enterprises? > >Anybody had experience with a rebuilt vanagon tranny from Long >Enterprises in Sebastopol, CA? > >I had a long phone chat with Mr. Long (I think his first name was Bob), >and came away pretty much sold on what he knows and what he says he >does, but he wants $1200 for his rebuilds, and so I want some >independent opinions about his work. > >His URL is http://www.longenterprises.com/index.html. Also, in >reference to a recent thread on trannys, here's the info on design >problems and fixes with the 3rd/4th gear hub. >http://volksweb.relitech.com/091trans.htm > > (Long uses the new design hub in his rebuilds.) > >I've got an '86 Westy Weekender (200K miles) stored in Los Altos (SF >Bay area) which I bought knowing it had a bad pinion bearing in the >tranny. > >I have heard bad stories about sloppy rebuilds, and didn't really want >to buy a used tranny unless I knew its history, and since I'm planning >on keeping this Weekender for a long time, I only want to fool around >with the tranny once. > >Feel free to email me off-list at george@parrotcreek.com > >George in NH >'82 Westy, '86 Westy Weekender, '87 Vanagon GL