Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 17 Jan 2004 21:12:34 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Danger from the cold
Comments: To: Robert Freeman <rdfreeman@MSN.COM>

One thing I leaned in 30 years of living in Alaska, and that is that the

cold in winter will show every weakness in your vehicle, wheather it's the tired tires, worn bearings, old coolant hoses, fuel lines or what have you. When the temps get really down there, the weaknesses start to show. And in a really cold climate like Alaska, Canada, and some of the other northern tier states, having a problem out somehere can turn a nice Sunday afternoon outing into a grim survival situation, even if it is just over night. After a few cold weather maintenance episodes I got the message, and maintained my vehicles in Alaska to the max. Maintenance was very routine. I never missed servicing, and any componenets that were questionable were simply replaced. I also kept extra blankets, some means of building an maintaining a fire, as well as

some food in my van in the winter. And never, ever made a "quick run downtown" without my coat, hat, mitts, and boots. I would simply never take the chance.

And you definitely don't want to get stranded out somewhere with your family.

Maintain to the max. Thats my motto!!

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver