Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Jan 2004 05:01:16 -0600
From:         Al and Sue Brase <albeeee@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: 88 Westy makes it back to home port!
Comments: To: "Warren.K.Lail-1" <wlail@OU.EDU>

Warren: A couple of things I can think of:: Very first thing to do is take a bunch of pictures of the engine, both while it is in place and after you remove it. (You'd be surprised at how many dfferent ways some of these parts seem to fit, but only one way is the factory way.) New thermostat housing- they often crack around the bolts. ALL of that plastic stuff that carries the coolant, especially, the elbow fitting on the right rear of the block that brings the water from the water pump (early ones are metal, later are plastic), the 4 way plastic fitting above the starter, too. Check the big pipe on the left from the water pump to the thermostat housing. In the rust belt, they rust out, bad enough that the small tee fitting becomes loose. (these darn things are about $100!!!) I've bought

several, gripes me every time that I didn't clean it and paint it 4 years ago! If yours is good and solid, at least give it a good sticky coat of paint. Check for wear on the clutch fork. Check the condition of the motor mounts.