Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Jan 2004 07:39:24 -0800
From:         mike twombley <twombleyw@JPS.NET>
Subject:      Re: heads up on  IE browser flaw

On 1/18/04 8:05 PM, "tom ring" <taring@TARING.ORG> wrote:

> Mistrust Microsoft products. They are the core of the problem. And there are > lots of alternatives that are free, and better, and faster, and lots smaller. > > I make the offer again. Anyone that would like help installing a > non-Microsoft > browser, i.e. Mozilla, Opera, etc., or a non-Microsoft mail client, i.e. > Pegasus, Eudora, etc., please contact me. > > tom > > On 18 Jan 2004 at 19:54, gary hradek wrote: > >> Jack, >> It appears you have a sense of humor and you are >> quick witted. >> What I saw with my windows link looked very >> differenet on a linux broswer if that helps. >> Three different web pages for ebay, citibank and >> paypal. Scarey stuff that makes me mistrust any >> link??? on windows >> --- Jack <john.cook58@verizon.net> wrote: >>> Gary, >>> >>> Can you provide a link for further information? >>> >>> Thanks, >>> Jack >>> >>> On 18 Jan 2004, at 16:32, gary hradek wrote: >>> >>>> Many of us share urls on the vanagon list and I >>> should >>>> like to alert others of a flaw in IE browser that >>>> allow the true URL to be hidden from the viewer. >>> The >>>> net result is that you are misdirected to a >>> browser >>>> page that may be a fake page that looks very much >>> like >>>> what you would expect but is in fact is some other >>> >>> (remainder clipped) >> >> >> __________________________________ >> Do you Yahoo!? >> Yahoo! Hotjobs: Enter the "Signing Bonus" Sweepstakes >> http://hotjobs.sweepstakes.yahoo.com/signingbonus >> > > > ------ > Tom Ring K0TAR, ex-WA2PHW EN34hx > 85 Westphalia GL Albert > 96 Jetta GL The Intimidator > taring@taring.org > > "It is better to go into a turn slow, and come out fast, than to go into a > turn fast > and come out dead." Stirling Moss

OR....... Divorce yourself from Bill and a Macintosh (no Mac rants please)! Why drive a Yugo when a reasonably priced Bimmer or Benz is readily available.

Seriously... Security is a major concern and Windows security is not happening. When all else fails make sure ALL your security updates, service packs, and Anti virus updates are kept current. This is a substantial amount of work and the service packs are usually 50 to 100 meg each. Do it any way regardless the trouble!!!

Depending on the compliance level of the browser and the HTML used in the web page, it is not unusual at all to see substantial formatting variation in web pages from browser to browser.

User awareness and personal security efforts are essential. There are many inexperienced computer users out there and those of us with some miles under our seats should be good mentors. To that end I add the following:

1. Don't respond to any request for updates or information from any organization off the web. Rarely does a legitimate organization do this in today's climate. Almost all hold the updates until the registered user makes contact and then is directed to the resource on the website that can handle the update.

2. Almost always, It is much better to use a previously verified URL and initiate your own contact.

3. Paypal.com, Paypal.net and Paypal.org are all similar in appearance enough that if one is not absolutely certain of the EXACT spelling of the URL one can end up at the wrong place. One is legitimate the other two are more than likely scams. Be assured the Web site of the cams will look and feel very similar and carefully tailored to separate you from your money.

Just my thoughts!

Mike Twombley