Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Jan 2004 13:01:00 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Infamous Vanagon Fuel Leak - No Fire!!!!!

Well, it happened ...... again!!!

Year 2000, rebuilt the ol' 2.1L WBX, replaced all hoses in the engine compartment, including installing a complete new fuel line kit and injector hoses from Ken at Vanagain.com.

Year 2003, near Huntsville, AL, sudden rapid loss of fuel noticed on the gauge. Looked through rear mirror and saw a trail behind me in the road, and it followed me into the parking lot. Found a hole rubbed through a fuel line. Repaired it. No problems .........until now.

Today, January, 19, 2004, driving on the interstate through the big city of Birmingham, going around a curve ramp onto another highway, the engine paused for just a second, then continued. One half mile down the road as I reached the bottom of an off ramp, the engine stopped. Would not start. Fuel guage said "Empty". Then there was the distinct smell of gasoline drifting into the interior or the van. I opened the hatch, nothing obvious. Fumes were not that strong now, probably due to evaporation and dissipation. Closed it up, called AAA. AAA delivered it home for me.

So, where do I begin to look for this leak. The tank obviously is flat empty, and I am reluctant to put gas back in the tank to hunt for a leak. Turning the switch back on, energizing the fuel pump could be a recipe for disaster, if fuel is sprayed and there is an errant spark of static electricity. It is cold today, and static electricity is rampant.

Any suggestions as to how to trouble shoot this leak will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver