Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:16:05 -0500
From:         ROBERT DONALDS <donalds1@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Boston Bob? or GoWesty?
Comments: cc: jjmojo@BLAZENET.NET

Fellow vanagon types

I cant tell you about what Go Westy does as I have never seen there work. I have spoken with them on the phone they have called me looking for main bearings and other sometimes hard to find parts. I have taken the opportunity and asked questions about the different engines they build. I would like to say a few words about the engines I build. Yes I assemble every engine and I do all my own machine work with the exception of the cam grinding and the crank grinding. I rarely use a reground crank most used cranks polish up very nicely. I also use new lifters on every engine and I hone each cylinder for few reasons first is that I find the piston to cylinder fit on the all piston and cylinder sets to tight .001th to .0015th I like to see a little more .002th to .003th. Also I have found the finish on the cylinders to be to coarse for the rings used and I have also seen to many cylinders that are not as round as they could be and often see that as I am honing them . the other things I have a chance to do when the pistons are out of the cylinder is check for broken rings, oil the ring lands and properly clean and oil the cylinders. All this extra attention to the pistons and cylinders is something I first started to do with the Zamboni engines to prevent piston and ring damage and increase the chance's that the rings will seal in what can only be called a severe duty application. Lets face it there's no such thing as a brake in period in a zamboni they just jump in and go make ice. The other things I would point out is the attention to the small details such as the prep work on the engine case. I have developed tools to bring the case into true as I bolt the case halves together much the same as would the main bearings if they where installed. This gives me a chance to measure the main bearing saddles, look for the true size of each saddle to assure proper bearing crush, check each for signs of shifting at the parting line in each saddle and align bore the case if needed. All my cases are degreased wire brushed painted and then I debur and repair the gasket seal surface's as needed this includes the water pump and water jacket surface for the head this take allot of time to do correctly.

I have a local shop that only does balancing and they explained to me that the need to balance is minor in the WBX engine because they have found that they are already within the specs that the balancing machine manufacture's has listed. So if you check the piston weights, the rod weights and you are using an unground crankshaft there is no need to balance what is already a smooth spinning engine. The WBX engine also has the feature of a nice heavy front pulley that adds extra weight to the noise of the crank this smooths out the crank vibrations much the same as a vibration dampener would in a V8. All that said I do balance engines at the customer request at an additional cost.

Other things I do with each engine is to make oil pressure' check for oil leaks and check compression before the engine is taken off the assembly stand. All gaskets and some hard to find hardware is included with each engine. I also install the front pulley and torque the front bolt to 252 pds. so the customer does not have to deal with this. I also shim the rocker stands so the adjusters have the correct geometry for a 0 lash hot valve adjustment.

THINGS I DON'T DO I choose not to build engine's with welded crankshaft journals as is often done to increase the stroke of the 2.1 cranks or to repair burned rod journals. I don't put used parts that should not be put back into service not all blocks and cranks are reusable and sometimes you find this out after having spent allot of time and sometimes money on it. I never use rebuilt OEM heads

I build only the very best engine I know how every time without compromise

going faster miles an hour I remain Boston Bob http://www.bostonengine.com