Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Jan 2004 15:33:14 -0800
From:         Tom Young <tomyoung1@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: removing lifters
Comments: To: Jake Beaulieu <jake_beaulieu@YAHOO.COM>

Maybe put them in a can of oil? That's about the only thing I can think of. Having done complete engine rebuilds, partial rebuilds, installation of new engines and so forth, I think the whole issue of worrying about bleeding lifters is overblown. All these engines have clattered on startup, even if the lifters were properly bled before installation. On the new/complete rebuilt engines the clattering has gone away - in every case - during the 20 minute break-in. In the case of one partial rebuild, where the lifters were re-used and not bled before installation, the clatter lasted maybe two or three days, but went away.

My free advice - maybe worth every penny you paid for it - is to store then upright, maybe in a can of oil if you want, put them back in the right place, and don't sweat it. Unless you get that engine up and running within 4 hours of installing the pushrods and rocker arms I'll bet you *will* have clatter on startup, and it'll go away after a while. And, while you have your engine opened up remember: Cleanliness is next to Godliness. --------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Young '81 Vanagon Lafayette, CA 94549 '82 Westfalia --------------------------------------------------------------- ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jake Beaulieu" <jake_beaulieu@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 3:02 PM Subject: removing lifters