Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Jan 2004 18:22:29 -0800
From:         Antaki <wrack@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: which type of headlight upgrade would you recommend and why?
Comments: To: Andrew Gies <andrew_gies@CANGENE.COM>

I'm going to echo David Marshall's sentiments here, as far as the e-code H4 rectangulars go. I have installed a set of them, along with 80/100W lamps. I also installed the 100W lamps in my inner lights.

I ran 8ga. wire from the battery box to the front grille area, and hooked weatherproof relays to power the lights. The stock wires to the lights control the relays. Very simple. And, WHOOAAA, ex-frikken'-tremely effective. I can see way down the road and to the sides with the regular beams on, adjusted as per Daniel Stern's instructions. And the light from these, in my Syncro-with-large-tires, does not invade my Scirocco's interior from behind, even at close range. I feel much safer and better driving at night.

When I switch the high beams on, well, let's just say that if I cannot see anything in front of me with my eyes open, it must be invisible! In fact, I plan to install a separate switch for the inners, giving me normal, high-beam, and let's-make-shadows-on-Mars settings.

I had tried 80/100's in the stock outers, and as someone else (pardon my lack of memory) on this list said, you can put a small star in them and they still won't provide decent light.

I thought about putting the Cibie CSR's in, and they may be better yet than what I've got, but it was just more fabrication than I was up to. The Complex-Surface Reflector headlamps sound like a neat way to go, though. See http://dsl.torque.net/products/csr.html for details.

And besides, I plan to put amber lamps in the small lamp sockets the e-code rectangulars have, for pseudo fog lights.

I wish I could afford to give my daily passenger Wolfsburg the same treatment, but it's just the beater.

That's my 2mW's worth...

Ron Antaki