Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Jan 2004 00:41:40 -0500
From:         ROBERT DONALDS <donalds1@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Cylinder hone -conclusion?

Scott W. Fellow learkers and vanagon types

I measure and ridged hone new and used cylinders on a regular basis for both the air and water-cooled engines. I use the very best bore micrometer money can buy it measures in .0005th increments its fast and it shows a couple of tenths taper with a sweep of the wrist it is in fact way cool if you like that sort of stuff. I am often asked for one or more used cylinders to replace the ones customer have dropped or damaged. I have been rebuilding engine for a few years and have seen what happens when customers only replace the rings without honing the cylinders. The short term problem is that the blowby otherwise know as crank case pressure is severe because the rings do not seal. The long term problem is that the rings wear out very quickly. So fast in fact you would think you where gas washing the cylinders. This is due to the uneven cylinder surface the ring both move up and down and in and out of the ring grooves. The technical term for this action is called the hokey pokey.

The cylinders on the WBX engines show little signs of wear even with 150K and with my ridged hone I can make them straight and round without increasing the bore size by more than .001th I have not seen cylinders become oval but they are never straight from top to bottom. I had a good laugh at the idea that the angle of the bore the piston is in and gravity had an effect on the way a cylinder wears. The way a piston moves in a cylinder is determined by the angle of the con rod pushing or being pushed by the piston. Modern Pistons have an offset wrist pin hole in the WBX piston the offset is .040th away from what's known as the load side of the piston. The load side of a piston is the side that pushes against the cylinder wall as the piston travels down in the bore on the power stroke again this side loading is due to the angle of the con rod. The passengers side of the engine has the load side of the piston facing up and the drivers side would be facing down because of the clockwise rotation of the crank and the angle of the rod. The reason for the offset piston pin is to transition the piston from one side of the cylinder to the other as the piston reaches the top of the cylinder and the piston reverses direction. Without this offset you would hear a loud piston slap and that amount of noise gets old very quickly. The engine would make more power without the offset but not enough to make the noise worth listening to. Speaking of offsets the con rods have an offset also but this is to make room for the cylinder beside it. I have seen engine rebuilt by parts replacers with the con rods in upside down this this has the affect of side loading the pistons. The small end of the con rod inside the piston is rubbing against the piston pin boss preventing it from centering in the cylinder and slowing down the transition from non load side to load side of the piston just enough to make a the noise of a slapping piston. this noise is allusive hard to diagnose and it instills a complete lack of confidence in the engine. This lack of confidence is well earned because the same guys that install the rods upside down don't rebuild the big end of the rod and then he reused the same rod bolts.

The top piston ring land wear as Daryl mentions does determine the oil consumption of an engine and in the old hotter running air-cooled engine the ring lands did take a beating so reringing was a short term fix to a long term problem. It is not that extreme with the WBX engine the oil consumption is often low even up to the end of an engines useful days due to the lower over all piston temps decreased ring land wear of the water cooled engine. I always use new piston and cylinder sets because they make the best power they offer the least amount of problems and its what the customer expects

The days of deep lines in the cylinder walls to hold oil and lap in the rings is ancient history. When I hone a new set of cylinders I start with a 220 grit stone and to remove the first .001th and straighten the cylinder. Next I change to a finer finish stone with a 150 grit this take's the tops of the previous honing and adds about another 0005th with little effort. I then use a full size scotch bright pad insert it in the cylinder and then I spin it to remove any remaining high spots and clean the cylinders. The reason I hone the new cylinder is for three reasons first I feel the piston skirt to cylinder wall to tight at .001ths to .0015ths so I add .001th to .0015ths next I like to see just how round the cylinder is by honing it and third I want to reduce the plateau's of the original honing marks. All this make for a faster brakein, lower friction and less chance of scuffing the load side of the pistons in the first tring days of the engine life

The rings on the market today are prelaped they are very round and depending on how the heavy the honing is seal quickly. the exception to this is the chrome top rings they are slow to brake in and depend on the carbon particulate to lap into the cylinder. Chrome rings are not recommended for alternative fuels such as propane and LNG these fuel burn to clean to offer the needed carbon particulate.

I have found that in the real world people don't bother chasing down a hard to find straight 30 weight oil for brake in. This time of year in the north its just to thick and the engine will spin but not let the engine start so I feel that the 10 30 is a good brake in oil and I recommend that the customer not drive on the highway for the first 1000 miles with this oil because the engine is to tight the oil is to thin and the load would be to high for a fresh engine. The other thing I think is critical is to get the engine set up with an exhaust gas analyzer. The 02 sensor does not tell the whole story and is easily sooted up and put out of commission when starting and running a fresh engine.

The real problem that Scott will face in replacing parts rather than rebuild the engine not restoring the proper dimensions and main bearing crush. The main bearings will become loose in the case in a very short time and he will have low oil pressure. he will again hear the often heard crank grumble the 1.9 is famous for this is true for all 1.9 engines. Throwing new parts at an engine is no replacement for experience. I have an article on alignboring the 1.9 cases check the archives I think I called it tales of an engine stripper if you can find it ask I will repost it

going faster miles an hour I remain Bob Donalds http://www.bostonengine.com all right reserved

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott W." <smorewhisky@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2004 5:57 PM Subject: Re: Cylinder hone -conclusion?