Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Jan 2004 19:49:35 -0500
From:         Vanagon Man <vgonman@MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Your Opinion:  Subaru or not to Subaru (Engine swap)
Comments: To: rcampbell-vanagon6706@MAILBLOCKS.COM

For one thing, all though I am sure it will give you more power........the Boston Engine Big Valve motor is awesome. It is like night and day over a stock rebuild motor. Almost feels supercharged! And it keeps stock configuration, so future repairs are easy to have done. As well, a good rebuild is not a bad choice either.but you gotta accept the limitations of the vehicle as well. It is a big, heavy box. It can be made to perform a little better though. Most folks that are bent on a conversion have been driving a vehicle with an old, tired, and undermaintenanced car. A new rebuild is a real eye-opener after experiencing this.

Now I personally have not driven the subie conversion, and I am certain it works well. Subaru seems to make a good car. My father in law loves them, and has driven them for 30 years, always buts several hundred thousand miles on them. BUT I do know plenty of mechanics, and have dealt with plenty of shops myself ( I work on my own fleet of vehicles) and unless you are of similar mentality to fix or repair yourself, there is not a mechanic out there that is going to work on such an animal, or if they do, they are going to charge you dearly. It seems you can say " look up the motor in a Legacy".etc, but these types of folks don't want to fool with it. Too many other cars to work on where there computer programs spit out the correct test sequence. Very few "new" mechanics out there really have the troubleshooting skills to figure out what is wrong with a car using their heads. Sad but true. You may have a great local company in mind that has done several subie transplants.but that won't help you when you are far away from home. It is a transplant you will have to be heavily involved in, to understand it, so that you can repair it in the future.

I have driven TIICO, and it is sensible, but quirky in its own right. Those out there that think all their problems are going to disappear with a TIICO are off base too. You have to be familiar with the OBDII system and have it on your laptop to diagnose your own car. And then if you need a part, the parts for it were not in the US, so you have to order thru Petar at TIICO. Great for now. Also, I do not find the motor near as peppy as the big valve.......Pretty good from the line, but on the top end you are limited by the transmission anyway. Just because redline for the motor is now higher, does not mean the tranny wants to turn 4500 rpm for a long haul..............it will but it is shortening its lifespan too. Maybe with a 5 speed my opinion would change, but one thing is for certain, mechanics won't touch it for they cannot find anything in their systems to diagnose it!

Adam P Charleston,SC Coburn, WV 81 Westy "The Brick " 70 Single Cab "Whitey" 74 Beetle "Ol Yeller" 73 Transporter (STILL at paint shop) 1988 Vanagon Wolfsburg 1976 Transporter (New CA bus) 1974 412 "Goldmember" Used Vanagon Parts for sale (mostly aircooled) ----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Campbell" <rcampbell-vanagon6706@MAILBLOCKS.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 6:32 PM Subject: Your Opinion: Subaru or not to Subaru (Engine swap)