Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Jan 2004 03:30:11 -0500
From:         Barry Muller <ekab_muller@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      1991 Carat For Sale

With a heavy heart and light wallet I am selling my 1991 Carat (dark blue); located in Toledo, Ohio.

Truly, this VW is worth less than the sum of its parts and I have priced it accordingly. I purchased the vehicle two years ago with the intention to R&R it to be the daily driver. I have spent the money, time, and sweat - but it has never met my expectations for reliability. I always feel I'm one one more repair to getting there - but that hasn't been the case, yet. Perhaps the next owner will get this van for a good price, make that repair and drive her for years trouble free.

The bad:

Right front speaker has never worked Front heater blower motor bad (have new motor, but needs to be installed) Motor has a helicoil in the oil drain that needs to be replaced Minor seem rust in the usual place - behind driver's door Two rust spots on nose - sanded and primed Some rust in the driver and passenger foot wells Rear Aux heater blower needs some attention A/C does not work Front right minor dent (not noticable with bra that comes with the van) Front right fiberglass bumper cover gracked - sanded it down and needs a little paint Drivers-side mirror needs to be replaced - fogging, but still useable Rear bumper good, but needs minor adjustment Windshield has some chips - all other glass good

The good:

New rebuild (Boston Engine Exchange - Stage I) with less than 5,000 miles All new coolant hoses in engine bay Mostly brand-spanking new mounting hardware for nuts/bolats associated with engine swap New fuel injectors (4) New fuel lines in engine bay Two new small-diameter metal coolant pipes (left side) New alternator New exhaust (incuding SS Stebro muffler) (all except CAT) New water pump New power steering rack with all lines replaced All vents and associated hardware on gas tank replaced A/T serviced by VW within the last 4,000 miles New driver side power window motor New rear windshield wiper motor and assembly Vredestein Transport Steel tires (load rated +, less than 20K miles on them) Bra comes with vehicle Thule Towers (without load bars) come with the van All manuals

The interior is in decent shape for a vehicle of this age. I have steam-cleaned the carpet and seats at least twice since ownership - but the carpet could use it again once the weather warms up (small children - spills happen).

I love driving this VW more than any other vehicle I've ever owned, and I'd keep it if I were single. But I have less and less time to keep up with the "care and feeding" of the vanagon - so she's gotta go. I've kept up the oil changes with the proper weight oil.

I'm asking $4,000 which is far less than what I've got into the van - but I knew that risk when I started on this project. Make me an offer (don't be shy), drop me a line and I'll give you the whole story.

Please contact me at this email (pix on request) or at my cell 419.699.2232

Thanks,

Barry