Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Jan 2004 14:31:20 -0500
From:         Richard Golen <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU>
Subject:      Re: umbrella question about reliability
Comments: To: Joel Walker <jwalker@BAMA.UA.EDU>

Unka Joel,

But you just summahrized what Vanagon ownership and this list is all about...we're a bunch of whiny sado-masochist folks who like to have our wallets drained by a vehicle that we "love"....hell the last time that my wallet was so aptly drained and I pissed and moaned so loud was when I was "taken to the cleaners" by my first wife!!

Speaking from the shores of Buzzard's Bay.....you can't teach an old salty dog new tricks...and you can't teach a Vanagon owner to go out and buy a Dodge Caravan!!

Ric

At 01:01 PM 1/24/2004 -0600, you wrote: > > if the vanagon i have (1984) is rebuilt carefully and > > thoroughly, is there any need to worry about > > reliability? what i'd like to do is overhaul the > > engine and take it out on the road for various and > > sundry reasons. i'm not looking for an "around town" > > vehicle, and i wanna make sure that i'm not about to > > start throwing money into a bottomless pit. > >regrettably, ANY 20-year old vehicle IS a bottomless money pit. :( > >if you look at it from a simple economic point of view. or even a >reliability point of view. >it's a sad fact that economics of the auto industry does not encourage or >allow dealers and auto parts suppliers to stock parts for 20-year old >vehicles. some specialty folks do so, but unless you happen to break down in >their town, you're dealing with them by long distance. and since they >usually know that they have the only bi-folding whidjet valve for your 1984 >VW Turbo Belchfire T25X, a lot of them aren't too sympathetic to the >conditions of your pocketbook. :( > >notice that this is a condition found in all old cars, not just our vws. >just imagine what the folks with the 1950-1960's british or italian cars go >through. try finding a wheel for a 1960 MG-A 1600. especially if you have >the wire wheels. > >even if you have rebuilt the engine and transmission and brakes and >suspension and the whole blasted bus to brand new condition, that doesn't >rule out some idiot backing out of a parking space and whacking you in the >front right corner, just hard enough to smash lights and maybe bend some >steering or suspension parts. now you're stuck ... can't drive it like that, >but nobody in Bhumphuhq, Amabala has any parts with which to repair the >damage. of course, that could still happen in a 1995 Chevy Astro, but it's a >lot more likely that you'd be able to find parts for the chevy AND some good >ol' bubba who could actually replace the parts for you. at a price, >naturally. > >or it could be a pothole, or lapse of concentration that let you run off the >shoulder of the road. lots of things can happen to disable a perfect car. > >what to do? buy a new car every time the warranty on the old one runs out. > >and that still can't guarantee that you won't be spending time in the Motel >$5.25, waiting for the parts to arrive at Bubba's Auto Repair and Tanning >Salon and Video Rental. the farther afield you drive, the more likely your >stay in some small town, waiting on parts. > >but the more you learn about your bus, the more YOU can fix yourself. and >the more you can double-check or advise Bubba when he tries to fix it. and >the more you fix it yourself, the less likely it is to break down ... cept >for the potholes and idiot drivers. but it's sorta like adopting a dog: it >can't take care of itself for food and water and health care, so guess who >gets to do it? yup, YOU. same with the bus. YOU become the mechanic. unless >you could convince some of the list vendors/mechanics to follow along behind >you in their bus, loaded with tools and spare parts. ;) > >that's the downside. for the upside, how many miles are on the bus now? my >91 automatic has 163,000 miles on the original engine and transmission and >other parts. that's ten years worth of driving. not too bad, in my opinion. >were i to fix it up and put a rebuilt engine into it, and a rebuilt >transmission, should i not be able to expect another ten years of >trouble-free service out of it? i think so ... assuming the rebuilds were >done properly. and that's the key: a new engine/transmission comes out of >the factory with a certain probability of reliability ... you EXPECT a new >car to last at least 60,000 miles before you have to 'do something to it'. a >rebuild? depends on who rebuilt it,and what parts they used to replace the >worn ones. so the probability of reliability can vary widely, from garage to >garage, and region to region. > >but done properly, yeah, a rebuild should give you at least as many miles as >you got before the rebuild. > >but that also expects you to replace things that can't be rebuilt: rubber >parts like hoses, bushings, and electrical things that go frzzt in the >night: lights, relays, etc. things get old, things go bad, things break. >it's a law of nature. old age sucks. but nothing stays young forever. > >so you pays your money and you takes your chances. > >good luck! >unca joel