Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Jan 2004 21:40:14 -0600
From:         Mary Beth and Chris Geiser <geiser@EXECPC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tires sizes and speedometer errors
Comments: To: David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>

Or you can time yourself off the mile markers over a long stretch, average it out, and be pretty darn close... either that or look for the speed indicators the cops put up once in a while and drive by it a few times to "self calibrate". Or have someone with a known good speedo drive behind you with walkie talkie's... I've employed all three techniques in the past.

Chris

I updated http://www.syncro.ca/tiresize to include the revolutions per km or per mile with you click on the diameter of the tire. While doing this, I realized that our speedometers are calibrated correctly.

Looking at ETKA on the 2WD Vanagons there is a cable that goes from the wheel to the speedometer with no gearing. On Canadian / European speedometers there is 500 listed on the bottom of the speedometer (805 in the USA). Meaning that you need 500 revolutions to make 1km on the odometer (805 rev to make a mile). Well, if you look at the stock 185R14 tires they need 483 revolutions to make a kilometer or they are off 3.5% which is about how much our speedometers are 'designed' to be off according to the Bentley manual. For those people who are unfortunate enough to have P rated 185/75R14 tires on their van, they'll find they are doing the correct speed at 497 r/km or less than 1% off! Still no reason to have P tires on there!

There is a neat little box on the Euro ETKA that shows a 1:0.967 gearing reduction (171 957 501 - Golf part number).... let's do the math - 0.967 / 2 = 483.5 which is basically the correct amount of turns for the 185R14 tire. Interesting!

With all this being said, I can make my Syncro with 215/85R16 tires read correctly if I replace it with a MPH speedometer and pretend they are kilometers. These tires are 408 rev per kilometer. The Syncro speedometer needs 2x as many revolutions of the cable to make a 1km as compared to a 2WD speedometer. The 2WD MPH speedometer is 805 which almost double 408!

With this being said, Syncro owners have some play in their sides as the output of the front differential has different gears for different tire sizes and different final drives. Stock North American ratios are 8:19 (094 409 181 B), but 8:20 (094 409 181 C), 9:20 (094 409 181 D), 9:21 (094 409 181 F), 9:22 (094 409 181 G), 7:19 (094 409 181 H), 8:18 (094 409 181 J) are available. Strange that they list the tire size 215R16 as an option! With the 8:19 in there (0.421) I guess that this is why when you have 29" tall tires on a Syncro the speedometer is pretty close to being correct!

Are we asleep yet!? :)

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel-Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

http://www.fastforward.ca mailto:sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

- Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation - European Lighting for most Volkswagen models

Due to the large volume of email we receive, PLEASE include previous emails when responding. This will allow us to read the complete dialogue in one message and will result in quicker and more accurate responses.