Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Jan 2004 22:21:06 -0800
From:         pedro dos santos <pedrokrusher@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      multivan / base camper interior

Hi John

I did a pop-top transplant and added a carat interior to my 1991 8 passenger GL. I do have a complete ac from a carat that I plan on installing one day.

I have seen on the net somewhere that a guy just transplanted the fiberglass pop-top without the bed, so he kept all the AC intact. Then he used some quick release "stuff" to remove the central AC tunnel when he wanted to pop the top. That would be pretty easy in your case since you have a carat with AC.

Since I added the complete pop-top with upper bed (we are a little familly of 3 and the fourth one is coming soon), I think I will need to lower a little bit the rear AC components because the ceiling with a upper bed is flat, compared to a carat ceiling that is dommed.

I plan on bolting the rear AC to the ceiling (upper bed), and then create a custom cover that will have the tunnels on each side of the van that will go forward to the front AC vents, as a regular front carat AC.

Have you seen a late westfalia?(90-91 I guess). They have those fancy fresh air vents on the passenger side made out of thin metal. Well, that's pretty much what I want to do, but on both sides.

I plan on using some sheet metal for the rear AC cover and the side tunnels. That means a lot of sheet metal bented and then covered from the same liner as a regular passenger van. That's the easy part. The hard part will be to hide all those screws holding everything in place.

Don't worry fellas, if I go forward with this "little" mod, IT WILL BE NICE. Like my pop-top transplant (for those who have seen it).

Pedro dos Santos 91 vanagon GL + carat interior + pop-top transplant 85 ddcab project 86 panelvan