Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Jan 2004 09:00:36 -0600
From:         Andrew Gies <andrew_gies@CANGENE.COM>
Subject:      FW: Automotive (Vanagon!) Lighting Query

As per a suggestion from a listee I emailed Daniel Stern Lighting for ideas -

The response is below. All the suggestions he gives below have been discussed before on the list BUT he rates the upgrade rectangular E-code lights the lowest (in terms of lighting quality).

Does anyone on the list use (and have an opinion on) the replacement rectangular E-code lights on their vans?

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Andrew Gies wrote:

> Do you have any headlight modification suggestions for later model > Volkswagen Vanagon vans?

Yep. Please pardon my "canned" text; I get this question a LOT. Please feel free to respond with whatever questions you might have.

Greetings.

Yes, the '86-up Vanagon headlamps are junk. Part of the problem is poor wiring, but the headlamp optics themselves are very poor.

You've got several options for gaining good nighttime visibility with an '86-up Vanagon:

1) Purchase the European-spec outer headlamp units in your same existing rectangular format. Expensive! About $250/ea. Performance is from "decent" to "good", depending on wiring and bulbs. Definitely better than what you have now.

2) Purchase an '85 or earlier front grille and headlamp buckets. Toss the sealed beam junk in the trash (though it is better than the junk you're currently stuck with!) and come rattle my cage for a set of E-code round headlamps; $104/set of two. Performance is from "very good" to "excellent" depending on wiring and bulbs. Way better than what you have now.

3) Purchase the South African grille setup, which uses 7" round outer headlamps like the '85-down stock grille, but which also has 5.25" diameter inboard driving beams (auxiliary high beams). Same headlamp route as in (2). Same low beam performance as in (2), stronger high beams. If you do this, be careful -- some of the guys bringing in the SOuth African grille setup are either supplying wrong-side-of-road H4 headlamps (for RHD countries like South Africa, UK, Australia) or are supplying Bosch *Motorcycle* H4 headlamps, which are sub-optimal in two-track vehicle service. Pass on them.

4) Purchase the Projektzwo quad rectangular setup with projector low beams. VERY expensive. Very good performance, but not significantly better than (2) or (3) unless you're rallying and can run very high power bulbs because you needn't worry about oncoming traffic.

With ANY of these options, you'd want a relay installation package to feed full power to the headlamps and save your headlamp and beam selector switches. The kit doesn't cost much, $45 to $60 depending on which headlamps you're trying to wire up.

Let me know how I can help!

DS

******************************************************************* CONFIDENTIAL - This e-mail transmission and any documents attached to it may contain information that is confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering this transmission to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender and destroy the original transmission, attachments, and destroy any hard copies.