Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Jan 2004 11:53:51 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Best Tire Pressures?
Comments: To: "Bill H." <starfinder88@YAHOO.COM>

I have not done a lot of heavy reading on this, but of what little I have read, and my own observation of tire wear over the years, indications are to me that tire inflation depends on load, up to the published max. pressure limit of the tire. If the tire is under-inflated, it will wear badly along the outside edges of the tire. If really under inflated it increases risk of sidewall damage by rocks and debris, as well an potential for breaking the sidewall construction. Over inflated, it wears in the middle of the tire and leaves the tires unworn along the edges. Neither case is good. The load on the tire at any given inflation will cause the wear in the middle of the tire and along the edges to vary, but if you have it just right, the tire will wear fairly evenly across the tire tread.

Right now I have Michelin XCA's 205/75R14's Load Range D, 8 Ply, 65 psi max Pressure....tires on my van. I run 55 psi up front, and 60 psi in the rear. This seems to hold the wear just about even across the tire, as I don't carry really big loads that often, just once in a while.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver