Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:15:37 -0800
From:         Steve Delanty <laurasdog@WEIRDSTUFFWEMAKE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Alternate water level sensors?

Jeff, you can make a homemade capacitive water level indicator by connecting a vertical plastic tube from top of tank to bottom of tank so the level in the tube is the same as water level in tank. The tube has 2 narrow strips of foil running up the sides of the tube, forming a capacitor of sorts. Water in the tube changes the dielectric constant of the capacitor, which changes the total capacitance, which can be read with external circuitry.

Somewhere in the last month I found a site that describes exactly what you are doing, with a stamp. I suspect it was somewhere at Tracy Allens site: <http://www.emesystems.com/BS2index.htm>

I've been considering a similar thing, using a stamp to monitor water level, battery voltages, and fridge functions including inside and outside temperature, auto-relight if the propane fridge goes out, and possibly "optimizing" the flame size to always provide the optimum temperature in the heater chamber for best performance.

I wish I could figure a good way to monitor the propane level and display it....

I've got a 2 x 16 LCD panel, keypad, BS2, and some temperature sensing bits set aside for the task, I just need to get another large project out of the way first.

Pmail me if you wanna talk about stamp stuff and the possiblitiy for use in a Vanagon. I'll probably add some burgler alarm features if I have enough inputs and code space left over. Since the stamp can output DTMF tones, it's even easy to add an auto-dialer to summon help if your Westy is being violated.....

Steve EJ22 -> '86 Westy "Escape Pod"

-------------------------------------- >Hello, > Has anyone come up with a better water level sensor for the westy >holding tank? I'm looking for something that will tell me how many >gallons I have, not just that its "almost full", "in-between", or >"empty". I'm thinking either a float-type resistance sender, like a fuel >sender, or maybe a capacitance probe. It'll interface with a basic stamp >and LCD screen, to take the place of the LED panel that's there now. > >While I'm working on that, I'm going to make a water level alarm that >beeps outside the van when the water tank is full, so I can stop filling >before filling it all the way up and having it leak out the filler tube. >Anybody done that? > >Cheers, > Jeff