Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Jan 2004 19:25:32 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: TDI or not--Oil Question
Comments: To: "Stewart, Donna" <DStewart@REEDSMITH.COM>

Another consideration for your oil is the Diesel engine service rating. You want to see CH-4 or CI-4. These ratings indicate the oils ability to handle soot without changing the Viscosity. CF, CH oil without the -4 are considered adequate only for light duty, non turbo engines. The only oil that meets both the 5w-40 viscosity and the CI-4 is Mobil Delvac 1. Note the Delvac! Regular Mobil 1 does not have the higher Diesel ratings. It is available at most truck stops and larger oil distributors. Unless you live in very cold areas, there is no problem using 15w-40. Amsoil does sell a 5w-30 and a 10w-40, and a 15w-40 with those ratings. Their 10w-40 may be a better choice than the 5w-40 due to the higher base viscosity.

Dennis

My beetle TDI specifies full synthetic 5-40 to be changed every 5,000 miles--problem is I'm having difficulty finding 5-40. Can I use 15-40 or some other grade of synthetic? Can't get a straight answer from VW mechanics at my local dealer.