Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Jan 2004 18:29:59 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Cylinder hone -conclusion?
Comments: To: "Scott W." <smorewhisky@YAHOO.COM>

Scott, this really worrys me. You say

>>> My plan was to replace all the bearings - main, rod, crankshaft, camshaft. <<<< >>> New heads<<< >>> New Oil pump, new water pump<<<<

Yet, you plan to re-use the old pistons and cylinder barrels?????

That makes no sense at all.

It's like you are rebuilding the body, but you are going to reuse the old worn out heart!!!

You are doing a complete overhaul, but reusing the old parts - the very parts - that will have the heaviest wear and tear. They will fail you in short order and you will be hating yourself.

I know it may be a stretch, but if you have gone to all that trouble - pulling the engine, tearing it down, miking everything, putting in all new parts - by all means go the distance and finish the job proper - put in those new ROUND barrels, pistons and rings ...........and enjoy your van for the next 150,000 to 200,000 miles with no worries. It is no fun having to go through what you are going through very often.

To use old cylinders with new rings is to put round rings into oval barrels, and thats lilke putting square pegs in round holes. Trouble!!! Maybe not right away. But sooner rather than later. I can promise you.

It is difficult enough to get a WBX to rebuilt and to operate without failures using all new/good parts, but to use old parts that are not true ......uf-ta!!! Trouble, trouble.

But if you are bound and determined to put new rings in old cylinders ---- by all means, hone the to have new cross hatch or you will have trouble seating the rings. And use a straight 30 Wt breaking oil.

When I instialled my newly rebuilt engine - with new cylinders and barrels - I pulled the coil wire, cranked it until I got oil pressure, then reconnected the coil and started the engine. I let it run on high idle for an hour - rpm - then shut down and changed the oil and filter. With a new filter and new 30 wt oil, I drove it 500 miles not exceeding 50 miles per hour. The way I did it was to make 5 trips of 100 miles each non-stop. That way the temperature was maintained constant over a period and pressures on the engine were fairly constant. There was no stopping and starting. At 500 miles I changed the oil and filter, then drove 1000 miles never exceeding 50 mph, and then changed the filter and oil. I put in 20W50 at that point and have driven regular ever since.

The one thing I would do now that I didn't do back then, is that at the 1500 mile mark, when I changed from straight 30 wt, I would go straight to a synthetic oil. My choice - which I am now running with great success - is Mobil One 15W50. Though it is more expensive, you won't regret it. My engine definitely runs cooler, and the oil consumption (WBX'ers always us a little oil) is extremely low.

Best of luck to you,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver