Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:06:19 -0000
From:         Tony Polson <tp@WHSMITHNET.CO.UK>
Subject:      Re: Windshield Washers
Comments: To: Skip Emmert-Keaton <skip@SKIPEMMERT.COM>

Skip Emmert-Keaton wrote: > > My windshield washers don't seem to work. I can hear the pump working and > there's fluid in the reservoir, but nothing gets to the windshield. The > nozzles look like they may be clogged. Is there any way to remove them from > the van so I can soak them in vinegar or something?

Skip,

There are several possible causes:

1. Pump impeller blades worn or broken - the pump can still be heard, but has no flow 2. Leak in tubing between pump and nozzles - this leak can be either outside or inside the van 3. Blockage in the tubing - the pump still turns but can't get any flow through 4. Blocked nozzles

The nozzles clip into holes in the sheet metal. The sheet metal is probably rusted a little around the nozzles because their neoprene gaskets are ineffectual. The metal may be quite thin and easily damaged, so go gently when prising the nozzles out of their holes. The holes are circular with a little oblong extension to the left and right (not up and down) to take spring clips that are on the nozzle body, so it's best to gently prise a little from each side (not top and bottom).

Once the nozzles are out, there is enough tubing to withdraw them a couple of inches from the body. You can then remove each nozzle from the tubing. I would recommend replacing them, because they are reasonably cheap.

In fact I had the same problem and decided to replace the whole system from pump, through tubing, to nozzles, using OEM parts (all VDO brand). I found that there was always a wait of two or three seconds before water came through. This was caused by water draining back down into the tank.

So I installed a VDO non-return valve just above the tank and I now get powerful water jets the instant I pull the switch.

It's a good idea to de-rust and re-paint the area around the nozzles before re-fitting them.

Hope this helps!

Tony

P.S. There is a German supplier of double nozzles that are a direct replacement for the stock single nozzles, but I don't know of any stockists here in the UK or in North America. I am perfectly happy with the single nozzles.