Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Jan 2004 20:40:28 -0800
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Spoke too soon... (won't idle when warm)
Comments: To: Conrad Klahn <conradk@MAC.COM>

Assuming that it has one, what was the tach needle doing when the engine started running herky-jerky?

If it is a manual tranny and you don't push the clutch down, the tach needle should stay pretty steady even when the herky-jerky stuff is happening. If it jumps around too, the problem is electrical. If it stays steady, look for a fuel problem.

Mark

Conrad Klahn wrote: > > Well, > > I took a walk this morning to pick up the van. It started right up and > I drove it home. After work, I replaced all the vacuum hoses. There > were a couple of them that were questionable. Drove it around for about > 15 minutes, and it stalled out. Luckily I coasted across the > intersection and parked it safely. It didn't start after that. So, not > a vacuum problem. (But, I would have had to replace them soon anyways.) > > I disconnected the Temp2 sensor - still nothing. I made sure that I > could hear the fuel pump working properly and I could hear it. Tomorrow > morning I'll have my wife crank it while I look for a spark. I'm > thinking that it will be there since I am getting the herky-jerky right > before it dies, and that tells me it is probably a fuel delivery > problem. > > I am going to buy a new fuel regulator tomorrow. I have a set of 2.1 > fuel injector rails/injectors I'll clean up and throw on their > Saturday. Hope that's it. >