Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Jan 2004 06:52:29 -0800
From:         TJ Hemrick <x53gunner@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Should I opt for ALL new water lines?

Warren,

I have to agree with Tim, John, and Tom. I was up in near Tim's neck of the woods (I was Lake Mary Florida to be exact, about 1.5 hours from where I'm at) scoring some Vanagon parts (when I got there, the guy told me that Tim had already been and gone with his stuff. Mind you I never met the guy(Tim) but knew his name from the list) and while driving up I-4 the temp gauge shot up and the light came on. I pulled over but it was too late. I didn't know I had lost all the water until I went to fill up. Now, it turns out it was the plastic coupling where a few different size hoses meet BUT since I have a Syncro it's DIFFERENT from the regular Vanagon. So now I'm stuck in the van with the wife (complaining and worried about everything!) two screaming babies and nothing to work with. I end up spending the night in a hotel, buying food, drink, diapers, etc....and then take a taxi ALL the way home. $300.- later, I'm at home with the van far away, no parts, and I still have to explain to the US Air Force why I need MORE time off. Anyhow, I get the parts a few days later because only one place had them but it took a few days. It took me a while to find a suitable place to bleed the air out of the system. Add to the 300 bucks two more trips (there and back, twice!) in gas just to go fix it plus another trip and food/drink with another guy so I could drive it back.

Now, ask yourself that famous question: You can pay me now, OR, You can pay me later....

Besides, I forget the site (someone out there will have the link) but somebody went through the trouble of matching up a bunch of hoses from FLAPS that will work. That should save you some hard earned cash and get your hoses replaced. I understand about not having the cash reserve to fix everything you want but, check the list. Someone just saved my @$$ with a short block as I threw a rod a few weeks ago so now I have Syncro with no wheel drive. I'll be replacing ALL my temp sensors, water pump, and as many hoses as I can afford to/get to and I got a spare radiator I'm getting cleaned out. You don't want to have to crawl under that thing when you HAVE to get it fixed. It's much easier when you WANT to fix it. I'm lucky that my machine runs (er, ran) cool as hell since I put low temp thermostat in it and bled the crap out the system. Let us know how it goes, as finding hoses (if you go with the FLAPS method can be a little work)

Good luck,

TJ

Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 18:25:45 -0800 From: TJ Hannink <tjhannink@YAHOO.COM> Subject: Re: Should I opt for ALL new water lines?

Compare the cost of replacing all the lines in the comfort of your garage with the cost of repairing one $10.00 hose on the road while you are on your vacation.

Don't forget about the plastic pieces in the system either like the coolant distributor, thermostat housing and the main lines running to the radiator. If one of those breaks, the system will lose coolant very rapidly increasing the chances of burning up your new motor.

At a minimum, I would replace all the hard and soft parts in the main coolant loop and the small hoses near the oil cooler and water pump that are really difficult to get to after everything is buttoned back up.

Good luck,

Tim

"Warren.K.Lail-1" <wlail@OU.EDU> wrote: Hi guys,

Many of you know that I'm replacing the engine, clutch assembly, and tranny in Billy Bones, my 88 Westy. I don't want to spend a bundle on those components and then neglect all of the real problems of the wbx engins; the coolant situation. So, I'm thinking of replacing every coolant hose from bumper to bumper. However, I gotten seveal quotes that have indicated that it will cost me near $500 for all of the water lines. That's a lot of cash. However, ever problem I've ever had on a WBX has been coolant related. I know I ought to replace all of those lines in the engine compartment, but what about all of those from say the tranny forward? Help me out here. I'm quickly spiraling toward broke on this project, but I do want dependability.

Warren 88 Westy "Billy Bones" (in dry dock) 87 GL