Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Feb 2004 18:32:54 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Anyone running a Oettinger powered Van( or completed van) ?
Comments: To: Tim Demarest <tim.demarest@POBOX.COM>

I'm afraid I'm really opinionated about some things. While returning from Houston TX on Super bowl Sunday at about 2 PM I was repeatedly overwhelmed by herds of SUVs, MPVs, Pickups and cars with an X or Z attached to a name placards. I was driving my 1976 Porsche and cranking it along at a safe 70 - 75 MPH depending on which county I was passing through. Just once in a while I'd give the throttle a little poke to see just how fast these other vehicles were traveling and I found many to be in the 90 mph + range with me fifty foot off their tail. In the 30 years I've been making this trip I've seen lots of accidents and some were clearly deadly. People that speed for any reason are showing you just as much disrespect as spitting on your car or in your face. They are saying "You're not important, I don't care if I kill you!". It's not verbal but that is what their actions say to me. I'm always pleased to see the Highway Patrol or Local Police pulling them over and making my point for me. I speculate that I saw twenty active traffic stops in 250 miles and fours hours of driving on Super bowl Sunday. Every offender was someone that passed me, flying low. I'm not saying everybody with 200 to 500 hp is speeding since I can't see the people behind me.

Stan Wilder