Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Feb 2004 13:42:09 -0800
From:         Harald Rust <harald_nancy_vw@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Battery isolators vs Relays- was- Why do JC Whitney
              Battery....

I still think the Sure Power isolator is the best solution for my vanagon camping setup. $60 is not expensive. I spent so much on my vanagon, that the $60 for the isolator is totally insignificant compared to the benefits I get. I don't think the isolator is "sexy". Just think it works well. The reason I stuck with the isolator is because the batteries last longer. I hate buying new batteries and lugging them around. With the isolator setup, I haven't bought a new battery in 7 1/2 years for our westy, and the batteries are still good. Camping almost every weekend, using vented propane heater, lights etc. Never bother with extension cords or trickle chargers or solar panels. What more can one want? Alternator never gave me any trouble either. If you have a isolator setup, your alternator can last a long time also. I've only replaced the alternator bearings at 120k miles, and keep a spare regulator on hand, but the old regulator works just fine at 165k miles. Frankly I don't know why there is so much resistance to using Sure Power isolators in vanagons. They are well-proven and a viable option for charging dual battery systems in vanagons. However, the other brands of isolators don't work in vanagons, unless you alter them with remote sensing terminals (not recommended). I'm not denying that relays work, but everyone knows they also have their problems. Relays also have a voltage drop across the contacts, and with age, they get worse. But I don't want to knock anyone's relay system. Different systems work for different people and their battery charging needs, and I respect that. In summary, I think the Sure Power isolators are another valuable option for people who want a reliable hands-off powerful dual battery charging system without hassle. Well, my last words on the subject for now. Harald '90 westfalia