Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Feb 2004 09:04:21 -0700
From:         Larry Chase <roadguy@ROADHAUS.COM>
Subject:      RoadHaus - Reflections on 2003
Comments: To: "wetwesties@yahoogroups." <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>,
          VWVANFULLTIMERS@yahoogroups.com, vwcc@yahoogroups.com,
          "Vw-Camping@Yahoogroups. Com" <vw-camping@yahoogroups.com>,
          vanagon@yahoogroups.com, ev_update@yahoogroups.com,
          Syncro@yahoogroups.com

Volks,

Reflections on 2003 and the North American Road Trip.

In February of 2003 the RoadHaus left my Daughter and Son-In-Law's place in Mesa, Arizona.

She started out as a beautiful 1990 Syncro Westfalia that had been lovely maintained and ~80% rebuilt.

Since then we have traveled 38,000 miles.

Along the way:

Tow truck rides = 3

Engine rebuilds = 4 Three = 2.2L design piston replacement rebuilds (#1 piston blew up) One = 2.1L OE piston replacement rebuild

Most know the sad story of my unfortunate choice of engine rebuilders. So I won't repeat the saga here.

Parts replacements:

Starter = 1 Fan Belts = 3 (tough Alaskan & Canadian roads) AC Compressors = 3 (still doesn't work) Water Pumps = 2 CV Repack (front) = 1 Transmission Reseal = 1 Distributor O-Ring = 1 Oil Pump seals (inner & outer) = 1 Oil Changes = 10 Tune Ups = 1 Spark Plugs = 2 sets Right Rear Wheel Bearing Sets (Inner & Outer) = 4

Now it's February of 2004 and we are on our way to Florida ... planning to follow Spring up the Eastern Seaboard.

I'm sad to say the RoadHaus is limping a little bit.

- The front inner CV joints are getting worn * Have been repacked but will need replacement someday soon)

- The engine mounts are sagging a bit * Exhaust vibrates on the Syncro sub frame once in a while

- The engine compression is marginal * Cylinder 1: 85 psi * Cylinder 2: 130 psi * Cylinder 3: 150 psi * Cylinder 4: 145 psi

Note: Cylinder 1 was the one that kept burring pistons with the previous 2.2L engine design

The plan is to run the current engine until she can't go anymore.

- The Right Rear wheel bearings are failing prematurely * Collective thinking at this point is to replace the complete right rear stub axel assembly .... someday.

One a positive note ........ she keeps chugging along.

I think the RoadHaus wants and needs this trip as much as I do :)

She is a "Game" ole girl.

Important point - each time she had a major breakdown, I have either been able to limp into a excellent VW shop or get towed a short distance to one.

The RoadHaus previously know as Sprudel has always taken good care of me & Bullet the road dog.

She has been an amazing ride.

2004 looks to be a dicey year.

Just as it should be for a 1990 Syncro Westfalia know as RoadHaus on the North American Road Trip.

The real voyage of discovery

consists not in seeking new landscapes,

But in having new eyes.

~ Marcel Proust

Larry Chase Email: RoadGuy@RoadHaus.com Web: <file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/RoadHaus/Application%20Data/Micro soft/Signatures/WWW.RoadHaus.com> WWW.RoadHaus.com Cell: 408.202.1217 What: North American Road Trip How: RoadHaus - 1990 White VW Westfalia Syncro Today: Arizona headin to Florida