Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Feb 2004 14:26:43 -0800
From:         Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: HELP- Oil light blinking
Comments: To: Brian Butler <bbutler@PRODIGY.NET>

Hey Brian,

Hopefully this is easy and simple. Sounds like the wire(s) either snapped off/fell off or are worn and are connecting to the engine and grounding out. As you may know there are two senders that trigger the oil pressure warning. A high pressure and a low pressure. The low pressure is real hard to get to because the engine tin is in the way and it is located on the left side between the pushrod tubes. Just check that the wire is still connected if you gently tug on it. The High pressure sender is located by the pully below the water pump. I have found this wire to be grounding out in the past. The brown wire runs along the engine by the waterpump and below the intake manifold. Check that wire as well and that the connection is OK.

Run your hand on both wires and you will follow them to a small junction connection to a blue and yellow wire going into the firewall. Those go to the dash and the idiot light. Make sure that those connections are nice and clean. My wire was hard brittle and broken around there. I just replaced the two wires in the engine compartiment.

The water temp wire is also hard and brittle at times.

Where do you live? Do they salt the roads? The splashing salt and melted snow may get into the connections and start corroding the wiring as well. Check for that. I've had to redo a lot of connections on my engine because in NY state they salt the heck out of the roads for about 6 months.

Hope this helps.

Joel 89 Syncro Westy Rochester NY

Brian Butler <bbutler@PRODIGY.NET> wrote: On just a short drive from my house, 5 minutes or less, the oil light started blinking. At first it was blinking quickly and randomly. Since it has sat in the driveway, I topped off the oil, (it was about 1/2 qt low) and restarted it. It was still blinking, at first quickly and randomly like before, but then settled into an evenly rythmic blink,(it seems maybe revving the motor and increasing the RPM's slightly may have helped/triggered the change in blinking), occasionally going into a little fit/tantrum of quicker/random blink pattern, then settling back into the steady rythm blink. Where do I start to troubleshoot? I searched the archives and alot of electrical problems were mentioned. I'm hopping it's that simple, and not the motor taking a dive. It was rebuilt about 16,000 mi ago. Thanks in advance, Brian