Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Feb 2004 13:01:17 -0500
From:         Mike Braden <mbraden@PHARMACY.PURDUE.EDU>
Subject:      Strange hard start when warm, symptom getting worse

For a while now I've been putting off diagnosing a strange hard start problem I've been having, but one of the symptoms seems to be getting worse. The van starts fine when cold, a little hesitant when its <20°F. After the van has warmed up some, say driving a short distance, and stopped, there are the following symptoms:

Immediate turning over of the engine never "catches", just keeps turning over without hesitation. If I wait until I hear the fuel pump priming (sometimes 3-4 seconds), and then turn the engine over, there is usually a little hesitatation then it turns over again and catches. Lately, and especially with the cold weather we have been having, that hesitation has been a real struggle for the engine to turn over. In addition, now when I try and start immediately (not waiting for the fuel pump to prime), it is trying really hard to turn over the engine.

I recently replaced the Temp Sensor (2?...at water pump), so I don't suspect that. Could it be as simple as a failing start motor? Wouldn't I have starting problems all the time, not just when hot? Could it be a relay issue, as I have to wait for the fuel pump to prime? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

aloha Mike Braden '83 Van 1.9L '85 engine