Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Feb 2004 08:52:38 -0800
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: What's a Tristar Doka Worth?
Comments: To: Jeffrey Schwaia <jeff@TSSGI.COM>

I think it depends on where it originally came from. If it is an original Canadian market TriStar, that means 1 of 17 and these ones had EVERY option available, they're worth a lot. I would say if you can pickup one of these Canadian Syncro TriStars in good to excellent condition for $25K USD you are doing good. It all comes down to pedigree - Canadian TriStars have this. I now have a TriStar that was originally sold in the Swedish market. It is VERY nice, but not as nice as the Canadian market ones. I am 'missing'; power windows, power mirrors, rear wheel arches, cruise control. No big deal, as I can install of this stuff afterwards if I want to. My TriStar has a little over 200.000km on it, NO rust, no dents, and no modifications. As to what it is worth... I want... hmmmm.... a MILLION dollars for it! - Please!?! Seriously though, my TriStar isn't for sale, well, for 1 million it is! ;) It isn't worth as much as a Canadian TriStar as there were more of Swedish TriStars produced - to me, it doesn't matter - I have my four door DoKa, it's red and I like it!

For those who are itching to have a TriStar, I have access to another Swedish TriStar with 165.000km on it, same options as mine (all wheel arches though), pastel white, fibre glass canopy, recent motor (112hp) and transmission (AAN), but a victim to some seam rust (not rot) and one should considering getting it painted. Price with British Columbia registration is $22.500 Canadian or about $17.000 US - if there was no rust like mine, I would say $25.000 Canadian would be the starting price of something like this.

The two vehicles that are now appreciating: Syncro Westfalia, Syncro Transporter. If you have one of these and keep it in good condition it is money in the bank as far as I am concerned.

And to confirm rumours, in 2000, when all the 'dot com' money was flying around I did sell a Canadian TriStar for a client on Vancouver Island to a customer in California for $42.000 USD Now that the global economy is on the mend and there have been no rouge airplanes for a while I am sure we will see these prices again in a few years.

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel-Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

http://www.fastforward.ca mailto:sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

- Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation - European Lighting for most Volkswagen models

Due to the large volume of email we receive, PLEASE include previous emails when responding. This will allow us to read the complete dialogue in one message and will result in quicker and more accurate responses.