Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Feb 2004 23:14:16 -0800
From:         Damon Campbell <damoncampbellvw@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Analog TPS fitted to a WBX throttle body?
Comments: To: Chris DeLong <green536@hotmail.com>

Thanks for the reply, Chris.

It doesn't make a difference that i am using a 2.1 throttle body, does it? I didn't spend any time looking at the two shafts when i had the 1.9 and 2.1 tbs sitting right next to each other...

As far as remapping the advance curve? No. For now, i am just using the stock vacuum advance (mostly out of simplicity). In it's primary configuration, megasquirt is fuel only. However, once i get that dialed in, i can reconfigure MS to handle spark as well. That is significantly further down the road, though. Also, i have not checked into the different curves for a 1.9 vs. 2.3L. I've tried to look into this in the recent past, but couldn't really find anything conclusive. I'd imagine my vacuum vs. load vs. rpm map is quite a bit different than stock, but i don't know how to go about figuring that out. What i have now works, and doesn't knock or ping, so i am at least conservatively good in that respect.

To answer your last question, i am going with megasquirt because my stock digijet FI system is having a hard time fitting with a significant displacement increase (although it does work... marginally). MS is also only a couple hundred bucks, almost infinitely configurable (see above) and almost infinitely tunable. The option of data logs and other support software should make my engine management system that much more advanced. Also, the MS list is just as helpful as the vanagon list (which is to say, very...).

I also like learning, and this is one more toy...

-Damon

--- Chris DeLong <green536@hotmail.com> wrote: > > Well if you need to stick with VW parts you can use > one from a Passat 16v > auto. It has the standard "D" shaft. Dunno how you > are gonna make it work > with the short shaft on the WBX TB. > > I take it that you are going to run the standard '84 > vacuum advance ignition > system? Have you checked the advance curves for a > 2.3l vs. a 1.9l? The > volumetric efiiciency will be drastically changed > from the displacement > variation. Are you giong to recurve the distributor? > > Why exactly are you going with Megasquirt? > > > Chris DeLong > Fine Tuning > 206.367.5503 > www.finetuningperformance.com > Seattle, WA USA

===== '84 Westy (Sparky) w/2.3L WBX (wow... it actually works!)