Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Feb 2004 20:53:49 -0800
From:         Mike Miller <mwmiller@CWNET.COM>
Subject:      bURNINGvAN report-kind of long

Volks,

Well here it is the long waited for [since Monday] bURNINGvAN report.

The day/activity started at about noon Saturday past when I pulled up beside a Westy parked at Ocean Beach in SF. Said hello to the guy driving, he and I exchanged names. He was on the List! But hadn't read the posts about the event was just there by accident.

Please make a note of this point in the narrative.

It's too bad Tom C makes the server strip attachments. The pictures aren't to be believed!

Well, after a bit I noticed that the kite flyers were really doing spectacular things. It was a bit breezy and they had formations of kites doing all kinds of maneuvers with all kinds of kites.

Just as some more vans rolled up some women joggers came by. They had forgotten to put on their shirts! how sad. I mean it was a bit chilly and you could tell they felt it. There were people arriving in larger batches all the time. More syncros than 2 wheel drive vans, it was getting wild.

Warren and wife were there but his wife protected him from some of the more...well, extreme sights and activities. What a woman! Protecting her man so nobly. Made us proud to be associated with them.

Then the groups on the beach made the place clothing optional. I mean it was a spontaneous decision and I just know everyone felt right about what ever they decided. TerryK would have been proud! And fascinated. And trying to get Woltz to take more pictures. Lots more pictures. Of course my son Eldon, another organizer of this madness, refused to even glance at such goings on. But he was willing to sponsor some sketches as part of the book we're planning.

And the vans, and other vehicles. Stuff I'd only heard about, stuff I'd only dreamed about [turbo Porsche powered Dokas! 4 of them! Wow.] Flat 4's, flat 6's flat 8's flat 12's stuffed into every imaginable chassis. There were drag races on the great highway next to the beach, sand drags, a Ferrari Testa Rosa spinning donuts in the surf, and then things got outrageous.

About 40 or so Vincent Black Shadows showed up! I guess they had heard how successful the Rio Vista Norton club, van and BMW cycle anti Super Bowl party and big game viewing had been. Anyway, it was awesome. Harleys only dream of sounding like that.

About then the cops came over and I thought uh oh! The head cop strode up and asked who was responsible for this? I pointed at BenT but he had made it to his supercharged Land Rover 110 with his lawyer's husband covering for him sped off down the beach. Lousy rat! I tried to hide but the rest of the list people ratted me out, except for Kady, the Estonian Paramour, bless her heart. She said she wouldn't fink on any admirer of Arvo Part.

Cop swaggered up to me and said, "Would you like us to clear the beach of these other people so you can have 10 abreast drags or something." What as guy!

Made a fellow proud to be an American.

I think TerryK was out on a drag boat but I couldn't be sure. What with the huge bonfires, the fireworks, the flaming exhausts and the barely clad cheerleaders [all three kinds, this is San Francisco you know] it was hard to concentrate.

Festivities went all night and through the next day. Bought out the local supermarkets. Tim the tomato man supplied comestibles on a pretty much continuous basis [continuous comestibles have to be seen to be believed and even then...]

I'm pretty sure it was filmed by at least one independent producers and Ken Burns has contacted me regarding a documentary, which he guarantees will not be actionable, very much.

OK remember where I told you to mark the place?

Right there I got a migraine and dropped some drugs to control it so it's possible that some of the above is not 100% accurate. But I'm pretty sure of most of it.

Mike