Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:42:07 -0800
From:         mortimer peaberry <cafeugly@PACBELL.NET>
Subject:      audio source A's

I have an ipod and I like to use it in both cars here's my experience;

I have used an IRock FM transmitter - but having only 4 choices in frequency (88.1, 88.3, 88.5, 88.7) makes it hard to find a good place in a radio saturated (bay) area. Also uses 2 AAA batteries for about 8 hours play time. This works good on the van dash b/c the proximity of the antenna, not so good with the subaru (antenna in rear window) until i placed it directly below the head unit.

The Van has a 5 yr. old Alpine head unit. I just replaced it with a new alpine CD with AUX input for $120. It sounds good, not TOO flashy, but is a little hard to read from the angle we see in the van (if I tilt my head down to the right a little then it is much better), but the nice volume KNOB makes up for it.

Alpine has a box coming out that will allow you to control the 'Pod from the head unit (volume, play/pause next/last), it should be nice. probably around $100 for the box and the head unit you need starts around $200 (plus XM compatible). But the unit won't ship until summer. I will probably do this for the subaru, though I really like the Eclipse head unit that I have there now.

I have the belkin auto charger, which has an audio out in the cigarette lighter plug - the belkin truecast is supposed to be powered for the car charger (or by battery) and can be set to any frequency. would be nice - though the heavy plug keeps falling out of the vanagon receptacle.

Monster Cable has a good looking charger Xmitter combo that looks like it may stay in the receptacle (it is flat) but I have not seen it in person yet. also it only has the 4 freq. choice.

as for the choice of frequency, I don't know if it would be a problem in the rest of the country but when I drive from the coast to the SF Bay area to the central valley, I find my self having to change settings three times (in 2 hours) less hard then changing a CD, You probably have to do that with any Xmitter when changing regions.

Good Luck, BTW my accessory count for the iPod is 6 and growing almost monthly (headphones, case, car charger, Xmitter, remote, extra cables). Those looking at iPods should beware (accessories seem to be $39 - $49) and they are addicting

Hi, My name is Steve, and I am an iPod-a-holic. It has been 3 hours since my last accessory binge.

steve volk santa cruz 87 westy 01 suby 89 hawk gt 80 Flying Junior 75 El Toro