Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Feb 2004 13:20:54 -0500
From:         "Daniel L. Katz" <katzd54@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Finger Sparks

1. using dielectric grease is excellent. useful on distributor end as well as sparkplug end and, of course, coil boot.

2. a good experiment would be to park somewhere realy dark, and look for a blue glow, or possibly arcing, around wires/boots, including near both distributor and plugs - this is bad. with an automatic, i do the test under load with a helper keeping a firm foot on the brake while maintaining a light throttle. it takes a higher voltage to fire the plugs the greater the throttle, as would wider plug gaps, and this makes the test more sensitive.

3. it is good practice to keep wires well separated in order to discourage both actual arcing, and inducing sparks in other cylinders through reactive coupling between wires.

4. it may be that little change is noticed doing those "hand sparks" because the effect is masked by more serious related or unrelated problems.

5. generally, starting and high loads demand the most from the ignition system. if she starts right up and doesn't miss on heavy throttle, then i wouldn't be extremely concerned.

dlk