Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:23:44 -0800
From:         LOREN BUSCH <labusch@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Fiamma Awning Problem Resolved

Well, it looks like the situation with the broken Fiamma awning is resolved. For those who missed the first detailed post, my brand new Fiamma 45 10 foot awning was essentially destroyed on the first use. Problem was a combination of rain and less than optimum installation. Without going into all the details, Fiamma is shipping the seller/installer a replacement awning. I will do the install and keep the remains of the old awning. The costs are being born by all three parties (me, Fiamma, and Sports Rack) and based on actual costs. I feel that my share is fair and that both Fiamma and Sports Rack are absorbing an equal amount of cost. I have to take some of the blame on this. Fiamma states in the instructions ‘for sun and light rain’ and cautions to not set the awning up in heavy rain or snow. This should probably be emphasized more strongly in their instructions, but the warning is there. I had set up the awning in a light rain and drizzle, but was away from the van when a heavy rain came through the area. I’m satisfied with the solution. I think that Fiamma and Sports Rack both went the extra step to try to resolve the situation and I can’t really fault them. It did take a little ‘discussion’ with Sports Rack, but they went to bat with Fiamma and helped come up with a better solution than the original response.

That said, let me pass on these warnings. First, the Fiamma awning, because of the basic design, has some weak points that, in my opinion, make it more vulnerable to damage than some other awnings on the market if a rain load is allowed to build up on the awning. The instructions from Fiamma for dealing with rain can lead to problems. The instructions say to lower one corner to allow the rain to run off. A far better solution is to LOWER THE WHOLE OUTSIDE PORTION OF THE AWNING way down. If one corner is lowered, because of the center rafter, water can still pool on the high side. I’m convinced this is what happened in my case. Second, the location of the mounting brackets is important. On the Vanagon, the front bracket can only go one place, between the front door and the sliding door. The rear bracket needs to go all the way to the back, by the vent. IF PLACED JUST BEHING THE SLIDER IT DOES NOT PROVIDE THE SUPPORT NEEDED. In my case the unsupported area of the case twisted, putting stress on the support are fittings.

The weakness I have discovered in the Fiamma awnings should not be a full deterrent from buying these awnings. I think they are well made and the ease of setup is a big plus for them. I don’t think I made a mistake in choosing the Fiamma, my mistake was in assuming that it was as strong as previous awnings I had used.