Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Feb 2004 11:23:58 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: RoadHaus - Bear Country Precautions
Comments: To: Larry Chase <roadguy@ROADHAUS.COM>

Bears can really be problematic. When all else fails, I suppose the Bear-cure devised by some fishing guides around Yakutat, Alaska during one year of particular bad bear activity, could be applied.

Several strips of smoked bacon were wrapped and tied around a can of engine-start either and kept unfrozen but chilled, in sealed freezer bags to reduce odors.

When a bear came into the camp, the bear bomb was tossed and when the bear bit the can the either escaped with a rush into the mouth and nose of the bear, totally discouraging any inclination whatsoever to forage the camp for days after.

Regards,