Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Feb 2004 11:58:30 -0700
From:         mark brauer <beeser750@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: wisdom of DOT 5 brake fluid (kinda long)

George, you're absolutely correct with regard to the need to remove all traces of DOT3/4 before converting a brake system to DOT5. You're also correct that IF people conducted the proper maintenence of their brake system (like flushing and replacing the fluid every 3-4 years), most of the problems associated with DOT3/4 water absorbtion would be eliminated. However, regular maintenence is a dirty term in the US of A, and so in the real world, it's simply not done.

(I will also say here that every ABS system I've come across specifically warns against using DOT5 in the system. I'm not sure why that is, but until I do more investigation, I wouldn't consider changing a vehicle so equipped over to DOT5.)

The best method for cleaning brake lines and the rubber bits is to use the purest isopropyl alcohol that can be obtained from your local pharmacy. Most auto parts stores sell "brake cleaners" that come in spray cans which work pretty well for the metal parts, but you really need to soak the rubber, and the spray stuff is too evaporative (and expensive) for soaking purposes. The alcohol will remove all traces of DOT3/4.

Remove the master and wheel cylinders, disassemble and clean them thoroughly with the alcohol. Or, rebuild them with new rubber kits, or replace the entire units with new or rebuilt ones. Before re-installing them, flush out the lines. There are numerous methods for forcing the alcohol through the brake lines without removing them from the vehicle; I just use a syringe with a rubber hose, one line at a time, blocking off the other three at the wheel cylinder ends. I then blow out the lines with clean, compressed air (using a water and oil separator, of course!), and let everything sit for a day or two to dry out. (This is best NOT done during the rainy season.) Re-install everything, and bleed thoroughly with DOT5. I like to flush about 1/2 quart or so through before I close everything up, just to be that much more sure of getting all the alcohol out.

Right now, DOT5 is about $18-$20 a quart. I have not noticed, nor ever heard of any problems associated with ambient moisture getting into the system and causing problems; unlike DOT3/4, DOT5 does not actually draw moisture to it. It hasn't been very many years since I did my DOT5 conversions (8-years on the Vanagon, 3 on the '53 Cadillac), but I doubt I will ever have any problems with my lines, both metal and rubber, rotting from the inside out; nor have I experienced brake fade due to boiling brake fluid (a problem I used to have with both of these vehicles); I don't have to worry about spilling caustic DOT3/4 behind my dash or on any part of my expensive paint jobs; and, I've given up spending a Saturday every three years tearing up the floor of my Cadillac just to do regular maintenence. I don't know what the life span of DOT5 is, but it seems to be very long. (I have an '82 Sportster that had DOT5 installed from the factory, and outside of pad replacement, it hasn't had any brake system repair done since, well, EVER! Still has the original fluid....)

Mark in Westminster, CO