Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Feb 2004 15:52:07 -0500
From:         Ken Lewis <kdlewis_wasting_time@ACCESS4LESS.NET>
Subject:      Troubleshooting Digijet fuel injection system.

I put together a simple electrical device I thought someone out there might like to also assemble and keep in their tool box. Our 85Gl had an intermittent cutout which developed into a no-start condition. The first thing I did was check for spark and injector activity. I take the distributor off for safety, turn on the ignition and turn the crank pulley by hand. Every time the Hall effect fires(in the distrib) the injectors should fire once and the fuel pump should kick twice(just like when you first turn it on). You should get a spark too if you are checking, otherwise I ground the coil wire. What I found was the injectors was firing erratically and sometimes continously for each pulse. Not good because raw fuel was being dumped into the cylinders while I was troubleshooting. The solution was to cut off the connector from an old TEMPII sensor and wire it to a light bulb with ~ 4 ohms of resistance. Unplug all four injectors and connect this device. This way I had a visual indication while T/S and no flooding. The problem turned out to be one of the power relays (I hope) in the black box above the coil had worked itself halfway out providing intermittent power to the ECU. The ECU thought it was being energized repeatedly, giving the above symptoms.

Party on Garth Ken Lewis 86 Transporter Crew Cab 60 356 T-5 Porsche http://neksiwel.20m.com/ Vanagon tech, pixs, O2 monitor gadget