Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Feb 2004 21:25:27 EST
From:         Steve Cotsford <Cotsford@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: FS : 91 Carat 4sp in SC ...explanation

Just an explanation because several have expressed surprise and solutions for my selling because of bad snow traction. Where I live in central SC it snows very rarely and the snow moves on really quickly. Consequently no one sells much in the way of winter tires here. Certainly no studded tires and no Hakkas. I know, I tried to get some. The dealers I found have discontinued the marque as they could never get inventory. I had a bad experience in the mountains of North Carolina before Christmas when I got halfway up a hill and the wheels broke loose. I tried every trick I know to get going again. Nothing doing. I had Michelin MXTs with about 60-70% tread remaining. I had to back up about 1/2 mile to turn around then go a flatter way to my destination, proceeding with trepidation. I lived in Switzerland for 8 years, I know how to drive in snow. I have had problems on wet grass too. I visit the mother-in-law in a very rural area of the blue ridge and my wife and I are looking for some property there. In short, I need a 4wd. I looked for a syncro. The only ones I could find within 300 miles had well over 200k miles and I just dont want a vehicle that well used. After I had such bad luck getting new tires (I couldnt even find the correct raitng in any kind of tire) I decided enough was enough. I bought a Rodeo 4wd. I was getting about 19 1/2 mpg with the Carat and I get about 19 1/2 with the Rodeo. One has 90 HP, the other has 205 HP. I have used the Rodeo in the Appalachian snow too, the weekend that SC got hit with an Ice storm. I was going through 8-9 inches of fresh snow at 3500 ft with it and it felt very solid. Only a synchro could match that. I have 4 vehicles in a residential area. One has to go. I have had 5 VW vans, 4 of them campers. I sold my last camper last year to get the Carat as we did such little camping. I will miss the van as I used it as a mobile changing room. I'm a piper and often go to events that I need to dress scottish for. Maybe if I run into a subie or TDI conversion I will once again be tempted.

cheers, Steve Cotsford 92 325i 2000 New Beetle TDI (wifes) 98 Rodeo 91 Carat, on the block.