Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Feb 2004 11:01:43 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: "green" cars (NVC)
Comments: To: AJordans <aljordans@COMCAST.NET>

On the other hand, simplistically and everything else staying constant, that works out to a "salary" of $4.55 per driving hour, or $1.52 per clock hour, and 1.8 days of your life used up. Stress can also be doing 55 in a Vanagon (content) on a 75 mph Interstate. Depends on if you're on a "journey".... AlJ. ---------------------- > >Think about how much better your Westy does at 55 mph on it's fuel.> > Think about how much loner it would take to drive across the US... --------------- Clip -------------------------- I hate to think about a 55 mph trip of more than 125 miles for a weekend campout. I've done many 55/60 mph Westfalia trips on windy days when the occasional 70 mph I could reach was a real rush. It comes down to this; Everybody must accept 55 mph and not abuse it or the whole thing just becomes road rage between the 55'ers and the 90mph-ers'. Seems that everybody has accepted the higher cost of going 70 to 90+ mph on our interstate highways. We'll never see speed limits lowered below 65 on the interstates. Recent adjustments from 65 to 70 mph in Texas only meant the signs changed ......... the drivers speed was never effected except in known speed traps. Possibly designated lanes could help the "Green Cars" to gain a true market. The "Green Cars" I've seen would leave me terrified if I had to drive beside an 18 wheeler for more than the time required to pass. I had many thrills in my MG midget because Soccer Moms and 18 Wheelers lost sight of me when I was at that prime position lined up at the rear tire of the Mini Van or tractor. I simply became invisible to them.

Stan Wilder