Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:15:31 -0600
From:         jay mattern <jmattern@HOUSTON.RR.COM>
Subject:      Considering Purchase 83.5 water cooled Westfalia

Hi, I am considering purchasing a clean one owner 160k miles westy that's been sitting under a TREE in my friends driveway for 5 or more years (Garaged previously). (He took it to a non vw mechanic (only once) for a tune up and it was towed back to his house...long story) We do not believe it was overheated. He had new heads put in prior to the negative mechanic experience.

I am expecting my first born in <3 months and am leaning toward having a mechanic do repairs to get it running and then do most maintenance myself if I can. (My experience on other vehicles is basic maintenance and minor repairs incl. alternator, water pump, clutch)

I had a VW mechanic (30+years at same location) in houston check it out and he says A* it has good compression in all cylinders (115 psi?) B* all fuel injectors are frozen up and need replacement C* water pump leaks and needs replacement D* it ran and sounded good to him E* some surface rust and rust through in 1/4" spot in roof gutter and lower driver windshield pillar

MY QUESTIONS: 1. Is there a good source for testing and cleaning fuel injectors 2. OR what is the best source and approx price for new injectors . 3. is a factory manual sufficient for learning to replace fuel injectors, & waterpump myself

4. Is there a westfalia club in houston or owners phonelist I can chat with via telephone

5. What is a price range for an 83.5 vanagon westfalia ? He was asking 2500 and came down to 1500. (is this too high? 6. Should I watch ebay for a later model westy (i'd like a 86 thru 91) or subaru vanagon? 7. Are the worst case repair costs below reasonable (parts & labor) when considering purchasing this westy?

Fluid change 25 Oil; 25 Brake; 25 Clutch; 25 Coolant; 50 Gas Tank Drain; 25 Washer Fluid

800 4 Fuel Injectors 400 Water Pump

Tune Up: 50 Spark Plugs 50 Wires 50 Coil 50 Distributor Cap 200 O2 Sensor

100 Brake Job

Rust Repair 400 Tires

100 Wax & Detail 50 Emissions Inspection

8. What are other probable significant maintenance & repair costs? 9. Is there a good source for subaru converted vanagons?

9. Please correct me if my post does not follow format for this list serve and give source for instructions.