Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Feb 2004 10:14:11 -0600
From:         Larry Chase <roadguy@ROADHAUS.COM>
Subject:      RoadHaus - Escaping Air Sound?
Comments: To: vwcc@yahoogroups.com, "wetwesties@yahoogroups."
          <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>,
          vanagon@yahoogroups.com, ev_update@yahoogroups.com,
          Syncro@yahoogroups.com

Volks,

Ok .. so there I am last night, peacefully sleeping at around mid-night.

The only sounds are an agitated surf breaking against the beach.

When all of a sudden I hear "Push" the sound of suddenly escaping air or some other substance that was under pressure.

Definitely coming from outside and from somewhere in the front of the vehicle.

Shoot, I Think, One of them damn Raccoons or Nutria chewed thru a tire:)

After maybe 60 seconds it stopped.

Finally gathering enough courage to explore the depths of the darkness ... I grab the ole trusty Mag light and hit the ground.

All tires look normal.

The night is deadly quiet.

Back in the Van I spend the next couple of hours tossing and turning ... trying to figure out what it could have been.

The spare tire I think. It had a plug in it, maybe the plug suddenly gave way. But why only 60 seconds of escaping air.

This morning I check the spare ... it's fine and fully inflated.

The othe thing I thought of was one of the LP tanks had some sort of a release.

Checking both tanks ..... They both are still unmder pressure ... Of cours ei can't tell if they lost and gas or not.

But they both still have gas in them.

Is there any reason one of them would have had any kind of spontaneous release?

A pressure build up due to temp, humidity, barometric pressure ... Anything?

If not, does anyone have any idea what else could make such a sound?

It's kind of like the air release on some vehicle with air brakes.

A quick, short release of pressure.

I'm stumped.

the only people for me are, the mad ones, mad to live. ~Jack Kerouac, "On the Road"

Larry Chase Email: RoadGuy@RoadHaus.com Web: WWW.RoadHaus.com Cell: 408.202.1217 What: North American Road Trip How: RoadHaus - 1990 White VW Westfalia Syncro Today: Florida