Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Feb 2004 06:10:34 EST
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rear Axle Wiggle
Comments: cc: xtabe@YAHOO.COM

In a message dated 20/02/2004 2:47:27 PM Eastern Standard Time, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

When I was trying to get my brake drums off the other day on my '87, (haven't got 'em off, but haven't tried everything either) I noticed that I could wiggle one of the rear wheels slightly, so there seems to be some play in the bearings or something somewhere. How bad is this? I've driven on it for many miles this way without any ill effects. Yet.

Has anyone else seen this? What did you do? What happened?

Rear wheel bearing going most likely. Almost every van that comes into my shop has some variance of this problem. They are all getting old with high mileage so the bearings and or spacers are wearing. But before getting too excited, try removing the large centre nut, cleaning it and the threads well, allying liberal amount of anti seize to the threads and mating surfaces, re-torque the nut to 360 ft. lbs. and see if the movement has decreased, or gone all together. If the movement is less than 1/4" I would not be too worried but wheel bearings, seals and bearing spacers are in your future work load plans. Bearings can be had from jobbers such as myself but the spacers must come from VW at some $50 a piece. While your in there it's a good time to install grease fittings in the bearing carrier. Check the archives for discussions on this topic, you will find more info there. Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada _BusFusion_ (http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm) a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 10 ~ 13, 2004 '87 Westy & Lionel Trains Member: _Vanagon List_ (http://www.vanagon.com/) , _LiMBO_ (http://www.bcn.net/~limbo/) , _IWCCC_ (http://www.westfalia.qc.ca/) & _CCVWC_ (http://www.ccvwc.ca/) Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley _STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless Steel Mufflers_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm) _Frank Condelli & Associates_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html) or http://frankcondelli.com